Our Fair Housing plan protects tenants, helps homebuyers and expands access to affordable housing
Everyone in Ontario deserves access to a good home that they can afford. Yet many people struggle to find stable housing. Many people find it hard to find rental housing or afford to buy a house, especially in the Greater Golden Horseshoe Region (GGHR).
In 2014, you elected us to build Ontario up. That’s why the Ontario Liberal government brought in the Fair Housing Plan, which protects tenants, addresses housing price growth and increases the supply of housing. The Fair Housing Plan:
- Protects tenants by extending rent controls to all private rental units
- Established a standard lease for rental housing
- Cooled down the GGHR housing market through a Non-Resident Speculation Tax
- Boosts the supply of rental and non-rental housing by improving the approvals processes and providing incentives to build new supply
- Provides public land to build new affordable and rental housing in Toronto and Hamilton
We also brought in measures to protect tenants from unlawful evictions by landlords who want to move themselves or a family member into the rental unit.
We supported first-time home buyers by doubling the first-time homebuyers tax rebate.
We are providing more housing assistance to vulnerable Ontarians, including people experiencing homelessness, Indigenous people, youth, women and children fleeing violence, people transitioning from an institution, seniors, people with disabilities, veterans and those dealing with mental health issues. We are also providing support for municipalities to build and repair social housing and built new affordable housing.
But we are hearing from people that we need to do more. Too many tenants continue to be unfairly treated through rent increases and unjust “renovictions” — renovation-related evictions. Both landlords and tenants say that the operation of the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) could be improved, by making its processes faster and less burdensome for both sides.
That’s why the Ontario Liberals will continue to implement the Fair Housing Plan and will undertake a review of the LTB and Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) to ensure that renters are properly protected. Once the review is complete, we will take action to improve the system. We will also take additional steps to expand the supply of housing and ensure affordability. Our plan will:
- Tighten rules to prevent unfair renovictions and curb the use of inappropriate above-guideline rent increases due to capital repairs
- Prohibit above-guideline rent increases in buildings with outstanding work orders related to pest control
- Develop an easy-to-use legal framework to support co-housing and shared ownership of residential property
- Work with developers, municipalities and other stakeholders to enable small-scale residential intensification that would allow homeowners to build multi-unit projects on their land
- Urge the federal government to address the inequitable tax treatment of rental construction compared to condo development
- Develop a toolkit and one-window access to support faith groups and service clubs who wish to build affordable housing on their land
- Create the Cooperative Housing Development fund to support the creation of new co-op housing