Fare discounts and a tax credit for seniors lower the cost of taking public transit
Affordable fares encourage people to use public transit, reducing traffic congestion and pollution.
In 2014, you elected us to build Ontario up. Since then, the Ontario Liberal government has reduced transit costs for GTHA commuters through a fare discount for PRESTO card users who transfer between the TTC and GO Transit or the UP Express.
But we are hearing from people that we need to do more. Further reducing fares will help make life more affordable for Ontario workers and families.
That’s why the Ontario Liberals will provide additional fare discounts and will reduce transit costs for seniors. Our plan will:
- Introduce fare discounts to transit users transferring between the TTC and transit systems in York Region, Mississauga, Brampton and Durham — these changes could save regular commuters about $720 a year
- Reduce all GO Transit trips within Toronto to $3 per trip for PRESTO card users
- Reduce fares for PRESTO card users between Union Station and stations in Ajax, Malton, Markham, Pickering and Port Credit
- Reduce the cost of all GO Transit trips under 10 kilometres to $3 per trip for PRESTO card users
- Give seniors a refundable tax credit for 15 per cent of their public transit costs