Better health care and housing, off-reserve programs and measures to stop violence against women and girls support safe, strong and healthy Indigenous communities
Strong and healthy communities will support Indigenous peoples at every stage of life.
In 2014, you elected us to build Ontario up. Since then, the Ontario Liberal government has worked with Indigenous partners to support their communities, both on-reserve and off-reserve.
We have worked to address critical health inequities and improve access to culturally appropriate health care services. We have developed an Urban Indigenous Action Plan to address the low socio-economic outcomes of urban Indigenous populations. We are working to end violence against Indigenous women.
To increase Indigenous representation in the provincial legislature, we have also created two new ridings in Northern Ontario, including one with a majority Indigenous population.
But we need to do more. Indigenous communities continue to lack access to health care and programs to improve outcomes.
That’s why the Ontario Liberals will continue to work with Indigenous partners to enhance health care, housing and support culturally appropriate programs and services to strengthen Indigenous communities. Our plan:
- Improves access to health care, including primary care, mental health and addiction care and palliative care, through an investment of more than $220 million over three years
- Supports Indigenous leadership to design, implement and control the delivery of health care in their communities
- Includes the Long-Term Strategy to End Violence Against Indigenous Women, which sees Ontario and Indigenous communities working together to stop violence
- Works with urban Indigenous communities to develop effective programs for Indigenous people living off-reserve
- Increases funding for the Indigenous Supportive Housing Program to create culturally appropriate supportive housing
- Enhances access to culturally safe and responsive social assistance services
- Supports the revitalization of Indigenous languages and invests in new and expanded youth cultural camps in Indigenous communities.
- Will work with Grassy Narrows and partners to identify all contaminated sites and develop and implement a comprehensive remediation plan to clean up mercury contamination in the English-Wabigoon River system, including the immediate provision of $85 million in dedicated fund